8-year-old boy killed in accidental shooting, Concord police say

 CONCORD, N.C. — Police are investigating after they said someone accidentally shot and killed an 8-year-old boy Friday morning in Concord.

Officers were called just after 2 a.m. to the scene on Ramsgate Drive SW, in a subdivision off of Zion Church Road East. When they arrived, police found the boy, who had been shot.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.



“It appears that the discharge of the firearm was accidental,” said Concord Police Maj. Robert Ledwell Jr. “I just think you have to practice extreme firearm safety. I don’t have all the details as far as what was going on at the time the gun discharged.”

Tiffany Cartner, a neighbor, says several of her family members own guns and they practice being safe with them.



“I feel really sorry for the family," one neighbor said. "My deepest condolences. It’s really unfortunate. I have two children of my own so I can only imagine.”

“Accidents happen," said Tijuana Harrison, another neighbor. "It’s really sad when a life is lost. He was still a baby. I don’t understand why a firearm would be out when kids are out.”

No other information has been released but Channel 9 has asked police if there would be any charges filed in this case. They said no decision has been made at this point.

Friday’s shooting marks at least seven accidental shootings involving kids in our area this year.

The most recent happened in York County when a 19-year-old died after his friend accidentally shot him.

In Charlotte’s Hidden Valley, a 5-year-old was killed when a gun got into a teen’s hands.

Channel 9 has also reported about a 2-year-old who was killed after getting ahold of his father’s gun.

Three teens also died over the summer in separate incidents in Charlotte.

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.

‘It hurt’: 11-year-old boy recovering after hit by stray bullet

“They’ve all been through classes and are very very safe with their guns," Cartner said. "They keep them put away where nobody can get to them but themselves.”





8-year-old boy killed in accidental shooting, Concord police say 8-year-old boy killed in accidental shooting, Concord police say Reviewed by Anson Moore on October 30, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.